Sunday, February 12, 2012

Curiosity

Last month my husband and I had a session with a parenting coach. My almost ten-year old has hit adolescence and it's taken us by surprise (we thought we had a few more years before he started asking for the car keys!).

She shared that the number one thing we can do to support our son through this transition and make our lives easier, is to cultivate a continual state of curiosity (particularly around his changing behavior).

I've been playing with this concept all month and after getting triggered this weekend around an old childhood wound, I'm thinking of adopting curiosity as my word of the year!

Curiosity. What if...? Why ...? Why not...? What's possible ...? What's working...? What's not ...? What's next....? I wonder what would happen if ....?

For the last thirteen years, I've been writing, speaking, coaching, training and teaching around themes related to life balance. I'm fascinated with how we enhance our emotional/spiritual well-being on a daily basis, what throws us into disequilibrium and what are the "paths to peace" that bring us back to center most quickly?

I heard a friend say the other day that her favorite phrase whenever her life gets bumpy, is "I wonder what will happen next?" And she says this with absolute joy, delight and true wonder!

I wonder what will happen next ...? I like that. I also appreciate that the state of curiosity invites expansiveness (much like we explore in the I CHOOSE LOVE movement--see below), openness and even a dash of "Anything is possible!"

It will be fun to observe how curious I can be this week around what's currently going on in my life and what is yet to emerge this week and this month. I'll keep you posted how things unfold.

Join us and CHOOSE LOVE in 2012: The I Choose Love public service campaign is a reminder that when we come from love--one of the most powerful yet underutilized forces on the planet--we have the ability to transcend fear and remember what we're really hear to do: give and receive love. Learn more and order a tshirt (at cost).
I love to hear from, connect with and meet The Journey readers at our events. I invite you to:
  • Find Your Tribe: Join or become trained to lead Personal Renewal Groups for women
  • Attend a retreat/event including my April 13th Empowered Entrepreneur Retreat and my April Esalen and June Kripalu retreats
  • Learn about Live Inside Out and receive weekly inspiration on our Live Inside Out Facebook Community
  • Pick up my life balance title The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal from the library or buy it here
  • Read past issues of my Life Balance newsletter
  • Take Action: Contact one of our career or life balance coaches for 1-on-1 support; receive an initial complimentary consultation
  • Empower Others: Schedule Renee for a private workshop or retreat for your company or organization
Subscribe to The Journey, a weekly blog about coach/author/entrepreneur Renee Trudeau’s personal journey to creating balance from the inside out. 

Photo: Chaco Canyon, New Mexico at sunset on the evening of a full moon. For days we asked "Why and what if?" after visiting these lost Anasazi ruins which were suddenly vacated in 700 A.D. Highly recommend making the long haul out to this incredible ancient site (even better if you can visit on a full moon).


No comments: