Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Soul Food

My writing sabbatical has felt more like an intense juggling act than a peaceful respite.

My husband is in the midst of a job search (and is working from home--my domain), my son is constantly begging for playdates, my staff--understandably--need me for sign-offs and feedback and the emails pouring into my two company inboxes from clients/media/event coordinators/colleagues and new business ventures are never-ending!

Yesterday was a particularly rough day for all of us, so I decided to make one of my favorite comfort foods. Enjoy this incredible, easy and soulfully-delicious, super high in vitamin A soup (we got our amazing squash from our friends Skip and Erin at Green Gate Farms)!

Sometimes a nourishing meal prepared with love can ease away the troubles of the day.

P.S. My guys love this with Mr. Natural tamales and a fresh, green salad.


epicurious
Butternut Squash Soup with Parmesan and Fried Sage Leaves
Bon Appétit | November 2001

3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, coarsely chopped (I like the Texas sweet onions)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 2 3/4-pound butternut squash, halved, peeled, seeded, chopped (about 5 cups)
5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth (I recommend organic)
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or more!)
24 fresh sage leaves Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.

Add onion; cover and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add chopped sage; stir 1 minute. Add squash and broth. Increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Mix in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate.)

Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.

Add sage leaves and sauté until brown and toasted, about 2 minutes.Bring soup to simmer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with fried sage leaves.

JOIN A GROUP, ATTEND A RETREAT/WORKSHOP OR DIALOGUE WITH ME: Would you like to learn more about the power of self-care and how being kinder to yourself can change your life? Join us in the cool Berkshire mountains in MA, August 13-15 at the beautiful Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health for our Self-Renewal Retreat. One of my favorite spots on the planet and the retreat center that I visit when I'm ready to make a huge life shift! Visit our calendar to learn more about upcoming events including our FREE September 9th Live Inside Out teleclass on Strategies for Balanced Living.

Also, check out our Live Inside Out community and share how you create balance in your relationship.

The Journey, a blog about coach/author/entrepreneur Renee Trudeau’s personal journey to life balance and living life from the inside out, comes out weekly.

No comments: