Sunday, March 21, 2010

Begin Anew

Yesterday (March 20th), marked the March equinox—a time when the sun shines directly on the equator and the length of day and night are nearly equal in all parts of the world.

It’s a time when light and dark come into balance. And while the dance of equilibrium and disequilibrium happens constantly in our lives and all around us, there is something special, almost mysterious about the equinox and its significance.

In Texas right now, we’re witnessing incredible growth in the natural world.

And as we watch all of this external expansion--small buds straining to come to full bloom and trees stretching and shooting bright green leaves--it makes me think about how many of us in this very moment are striving for internal balance and spiritual growth.(Read some of the recent comments on our Live Inside Out FB Community from amazing women who shared their stories last week around why they need a retreat.)

For many cultures, the March equinox represents an opportunity for re-birth. For me, it’s a reminder that every day is a new opportunity to start over.

To let the argument, sharp words, miscommunication, rushed encounter, lost moment or bad mood simply go. Poof!!

And to realize what a gift it is to be able to choose to begin each day with a fresh, more compassionate, kinder and loving approach to our relationships with ourselves, with our partner or kids, work, marriage, business partnerships, clients, etc.

I just got back from being out for a week on an amazing trip to Philadelphia with my 8-year old son. We visited my youngest brother who is in graduate school there.

When I've been gone for a while and work and family/home obligations have stacked up and are awaiting my attention, it’s so easy to see all the things that need to be done, have not been done or were done differently than I would have liked.

And so, today, I begin anew. With gratitude for the ability to choose how I see my world, how I respond to my environment and how much or little love I choose to give and receive in my life. Thank God for the gift of being able--at any time-- to start over. Halleluiah!

My father, a compassionate physician who cared deeply about those less fortunate, died suddenly in 1996 from a heart attack at age 55. He loved The Prayer of St. Francis (he used to sing it so loud in church, my siblings and I would crawl under the pews in utter embarrassment).

I heard a beautiful version of this sung today. Regardless of your spiritual path, I believe it's a powerful reminder for all of us to pause and ask, “How can I bring more compassion, more love and more understanding to the people I encounter in my every day life?" Especially timely right now.

The Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace.
Where there is hatred let me sow love,
Where there is injury let me sow pardon,
Where there is doubt let me sow faith,
Where there is despair let me give hope,
Where there is darkness let me give light,
Where there is sadness let me give joy.

Allow me to console, rather than to be consoled,
To understand, rather than to be understood,
To love, rather than be loved,
Because, it is in giving that we receive,
Because, it is in forgiving, that we are forgiven,
It is in dying, that we are born to eternal life.

JOIN US FOR A RETREAT: Interested in gaining clarity and focus on what's next for you? We have a few spots left for our 3/26 Refresh & Renew Mini Self-Care Retreat and our April 23-25 Refresh, Reclaim, Re-Balance: Women's Self-Renewal Retreat at The Crossings Spa & Resort in Austin, TX, but sign up today.

Also, visit Live Inside Out to register for our March 23rd FREE teleclass from 7:30-8:30 p.m. CST on Owning Your Personal Power. And sign up to receive weekly tips on how to live more intentionally through our Live Inside Out Facebook Community.

The Journey, a blog about coach/author/entrepreneur Renee Trudeau’s personal journey to life balance and living life from the inside out, comes out weekly.

Photo: Lotus flower--a symbol of light, life and re-birth.

No comments: