Friday, February 1, 2013

What Are Weekends For?


For the last few months I’ve been working a lot (read more). Often this has involved working straight through the weekend in order to meet key deadlines related to my book launch.

If you know me, you'll vouch that this isn’t my norm. I crave and savor my weekends and don’t like giving up my sacred Friday to Sunday evening sabbatical one bit!

So last Friday afternoon, after an especially intense week, I paused, tuned in and asked myself what I most needed. The answer: a juicy date night out with my sweetheart and a weekend totally --in every way--unplugged.

It was dee-vine. I spent a lot of time outdoors ... barefoot. Enjoyed spontaneous family activities. Made lentil soup (because I wanted to!). Had a hot date with my hubby. And didn't get on my computer or any digital devices once. Monday morning I was singing like a bird. I had given myself what I most needed. My cup was full. 

Sadly, most families share they're plugged in all weekend (I recently heard a statistic that Facebook experiences the highest volume of traffic on Sunday morning). Many share that on Monday morning they're exhausted from their hectic weekend pace and slaving to never-ending to-do lists. To varying degrees, we can all relate.

What are weekends for? When was the last time you did exactly what you wanted over a weekend break? Stop and reflect for a minute, what do you most need this upcoming weekend?

We all desperately need time totally devoted to resting our bodies and our brains (solid science backs this up). We need space to unravel, unwind and come down from the stress of living in a 24/7 plugged-in world. We need downtime to integrate all that we're experiencing during the week---emotionally, cognitively and spiritually. To remember that life is a mystery to be lived, not a thing to be managed. Weekends should be primarily for rejuvenation and rest-—not for getting stuff done. We’re more than our to-do lists. And for someone who is continually challenged around being and doing (read more), I'm clearer now, more than ever, that I need Friday evening through Sunday night to just BE.

Interested in some support for releasing old habits and stepping into a new way of being? My newest life balance title Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life is available for pre-order now at a 30% discount. Live in Texas? Save March 20 from 6-9 p.m. for an unforgettable evening of self-renewal for parents as we celebrate the launch of my new baby (details here!).
 
 Wondering how you can work with me and my team?
  • Join or become certified to facilitate Personal Renewal Groups and retreats for women (OUR INTRO. PRICE ENDS SUNDAY FEB. 3--learn more) 
  • Sign up for a retreat or online class  or check out all our life balance resources
  • Get 1-on-1 support:  contact one of our career or life balance coaches for individual support; receive an initial complimentary consult
  • Schedule Renee for a private workshop or retreat for your company or organization 
Subscribe to Live Inside Out, a weekly blog about coach/author/speaker Renee Trudeau’s personal journey to creating balance from the inside out.

Photo: One of my favorite spots is relaxing in my hammock chair on my back patio with a tall glass of hibiscus mint tea. I love to hear our water fountain, birds singing and the occasional laughter of kids on bikes riding by our house. 

2 comments:

JJINJERSEY said...

Sometimes we have what we call "Errand free" weekend... we even make a delicious (optional itinerary and totally bliss out with EACH OTHER. Come to think of it.. I think we're due one of those!

Renée Trudeau said...

I love that! An Errand free weekend sounds like a divine idea. I also love giving ourselves permission at any time during the weekend to change a "yes" to a "no" (especially when it comes to social engagements). Here's to all of getting just what we need on the weekends!